Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Salento

Salento is  a small gem in the Armenia coffee province. It's a bit off the beaten path of the usual backpacker so I didn't know at first whether to visit it or no, but I'm so glad I did it. 
Salento is a small village in the colombian mountains, and it's mostly famous for the Cocora national park situated nearby it. I ended up staying in the hostal Estrella sin Frontiers a very hip and chill joint with people sleeping in tents, playing music in the evening and drinking. The second day I arrived we decided to go the Cocora park. To do that you need to take a jeep, that are generally overcrowded and 3 of us guys decided to hang onto the roof and stand on the back bumper. Mind you this is something unheard of in the US, I know from personal experience from being stopped by the cops for putting my head out of the window, and i wasn't even driving :) But this is what made it an amazing experience, US is so closed off to doing things outside of their "normal, safe" way of life that they miss these little glimpses of joy and happiness that you get by simply riding on the back of an open jeep.
The scenery unveiled in its full splendor from the back of the jeep.
Cocora scenery is straight out of Jurassic Park movie characterized with sweeping hills and ridiculously tall palm trees.
These are the "ridiculously tall" palm trees I keep talking about.
We started hiking in this amazing scenery.
The first stop was a small waterfall that is well hidden in the rainforest.
Myself trying to keep balance on a "suspension" bridge :)
As you get to the top, the valley unveils in its full beauty, with mountain crests showing through the scattered clouds.
At the top, there is a mirador that overlooks the surrounding mountains.
The returning road takes you through a pine tree forest, covered in dense fog, making it even more mystical.
Photo of the day!
Myself marveling at the pine trees.
As we descended into the valley, the fog kept playing games with us, hiding this majestic beauty from hunger eyes.
Myself being really happy I discovered this place.
The fog started to lift up a little bit showing the valley in its true beauty.
This pic really reminds me of Jurassic park.
Plantation of ridiculously tall palm trees.
Another pic of the day, they're just so easy to snap in this place. I love the rays of the setting sun scattering through the clouds.
On the ride back, some more people enjoying the "out-of-the" jeep experience.
The next morning I decided to take a coffee tour, on one of the multiple coffee farms in Salento. The backdrop of this village is majestic, with mountains and valleys sweeping through the coffee plantations.
A river snaking a the bottom of the valley.
Coffee plantation on the side of a hill.
My destination in the far distance. The trees on the left are Plantane trees, family of bananas.
Among coffee trees you can plant other vegetation that helps provide shade to the coffee and fertilize the soil, among which is pineapple. Apparently, pineapple is a collection of flowers and not a fruit, who knew :)
 On the way back from the coffee farm I stumbled upon this amazing place. It was a stretch of green grass with mountains in the background. I liked it so much that I spent the evening there, just sitting on the grass and reading.

The setting sun colors as seen from my newly found home ;)



 As I walked back toward Salento, the path lead me next to this river...



 ...with the majestic sun setting behind the pine trees on the parapet.



 The next morning, in the spirit of "I have to experience as many things in life as possible", i decided to take a horse tour. Olga would be approving of this :)



  I ended up again the only person in the group and had a personal guide. The trip was amazing, through narrow pathways and wide roads, steep hills and water streams, toward a waterfall.



Me manning my white mustang :)



Finally we got to the waterfall.



 Los Caballeros :) we kinda look like brothers too.



 On the way back, I managed to get a proper photo with my transport :) and, of course, dear friend.



Doing the cowboy thing!



 My trusty guide returning to Salento. I like their strong, willfull profiles indicating strong character, you have to bee if you want to ride horses.


I will miss you dearly the lovely town of Salento. The place is so amazing in scenery and people so nice and friendly that this really has to be a must see destination for travelers, but only travelers, please, no tourists! I hope to come back to this small amazing gem in the coffee region of colombia one day, to taste its precious coffee grains one more time...

1 comment:

  1. ААААА! какая у тебя уже борода :)))))
    некоторые фотографии как будто с открытки :)

    ReplyDelete